Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Firsts...

Yesterday was the first time that I tried going home on my own without a GPS from Sunnyvale to where I live. Of course, I got lost. It was the first time I was driving at night too. I've never driven at night and so I was doubly nervous that I was going home on my own and on my own! No driving instructor beside me to tell me what to do, no GPS to tell me where to turn, lol. After three tries going back and forth, I finally found Hollenbeck and found my way to Cupertino. What happened there, well, that's another story. But that drive around Sunnyvale did me some good, to some extent. Since I got home late, parking was a hassle. I had to park a long ways from where I actually live. I was worried that the next day, my car would be gone and I wouldn't have owned it for 24 hours yet, lol. But there is a God and I found my hmm...what name am I going to give my car? Hehehe...secret...I found it in one piece the next morning although there was frost all around. Oh well, the joys of street parking. What to do? I sat in the car defrogging it since I had no wiper thingy, lol. Finally, I could not bear it, I wiped the front and the back with toilet paper, lol...I was going to use my scarf but I needed it more. So one thing more for my list, GPS and then a wiper/scraper, lol. And then I almost backed into a post...darned post, why was it in the way? Hehehe...

Then off to work I was! It was a liberating feeling. Being able to drive on my own, fidgeting with the radio controls, lol. I know, I shouldn't. And actually getting to work in one piece. Of course, I was the second car there so I had my pick of the parking spot, lol. Again, I had to back out and then park again since I wasn't near the lines, lol. Felt really great getting my stuff out of the car and then locking it and then going to work.

Going home was the same feeling, loading my stuff at the trunk and then I debated whether to take it with me to Trader Joe's. Figure I can't park with the very tight spaces there. Alicia suggested parking it somewhere closer so I could just walk. Nah, I figured I could use the nice cool walk...hehehe..the walk was nice but it was freezing! Made me wish I had taken her advice and now I know better. I have scouted a perfect spot to park it next time, hehehe...Going back was such a great feeling too albeit very cold. Loading my bag at the trunk again, sitting in the car, waiting for the other cars to go away so I don't back into them...hehehe...I was a little anxious about parking it in our tight little parking spot but luckily, cars on either side weren't there yet...hehehe...we'll see how it goes tomorrow if I can actually squeeze myself in between there. But oh, what a great feeling, to drive...drive...and not to freeze....I know this is a feeling that I will really cherish, a day of firsts...now how do I get to Target and avoid the cars? Well, go there late, lol. And that's another story!



Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.